Christian's Beach Is Now Closed

Please visit The Seashore of Remembrance if you would like to place an order for an artwork.

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Love Reign O'er Me

I always wonder why these children come into our lives but don't stay very long. Some of them live only in their mama's wombs. They leave this place before even taking a breath. Straight to Heaven. I guess it isn't really big news to anyone when I say that my heart is feeling pretty heavy at the moment. I miss Christian right now more than I have in months. He will be 2 in just under 3 weeks. Everything at this time of the year reminds me of him. The still summer nights, the tropical flowers in my garden, The burnt coloured sunsets and mainly the happy atmosphere that comes with all the public holidays. I have been thinking about how I have changed as a person since Christian came into my life and left.

I have learned how to love.... really love,
learned to loves others,
learned to love myself,
learned to love my living children more deeply than I would have before,
learned how to really feel alive,
and learned how to to appreciate the simplest of things.

I have found God and yes I love Him,
found my purpose in life,
found TRUE happiness and yes it isn't the same as before Christian was born... its better, more rich and not what I expected.
found true spirituality,
found that grieving isn't all ugly, it can be made intensely beautiful, but you have to make it that way,
I have found myself.

I have learned how to rise above my intense sadness,
rise above others forgetting,
rise above heartless comments,
rise above my own bitterness
and I rose above the unknowing of if it would happen again.

I am thankful for Christian's short life,
I am thankful that I live in a day and age where I was able to hold my son for as long as I wanted.
I am thankful for all the people that have come into my life because Christian left. All of my friendships are rich and true. They are honest friendships and I would not want it any other way.
I am thankful I have a beautiful supportive family.
I am thankful that God gave me a rainbow. I now have my River Eve. She would not be here if Christian had of lived. How bitter sweet.

This time 2 years ago I was pregnant. Christian was kicking me. His heart was beating and I was blissfully unaware of what was to come. If you could have poked me on the shoulder to tell me that this is where I would end up I would never believe you. I never imagined in my wildest dreams that I would have a little boy come into my life and make this incredible impact on me, when he would never take a breath of air.

My life is rich, it is filled up by emotions that I wish all people could feel at least once in their lifetime.

If you have lost someone what has that grief taught you? What have you allowed it to teach you? Have you allowed it to drown you? Are you drowing? Are you holding onto Hope? Did you find God? Did you turn away from God? What are you making from your loss? I think all of the above questions I have been through.

I am a better person, I am an honest person, I am a beautiful person and it is all because of Him. There are so many things that I can still be and Christian's life is teaching them to me slowly I know I need to be better friend, a more grateful daughter, a stronger mother and at the top of my list is I need to be a more loving wife. But in spite of all that I know I need to be I have come a long way and when I say a long way I really mean it.

So in the lead up to his birthday I am burning this candle. I broke the candle that a friend gave me two days before Christian died. I was so angry and upset at myself so the other day I went into my favourite shop called Dusk. I manged to find the exact same candle holder and I splurged ever so slightly on some strawberrie scented candles that remind me of those very precious couple of days in my life. I burn this candle for Christian but really it is for all the babies who sit on God's lap and pick out the colours of the sunset.


"Love Reign O'er Me"

23 Send Your Love Here:

Amanda Hoyt said...

Thank you, Carly, for this post. It is beautiful.
Thank you for what you do to help us.
Hugs and prayers,
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Christian,

What an impact you have made on this world. I can only imagine what your Momma's dream will turn into in 10 years time. She is teaching people to grieve beautifully. She is raising people from the depths of sadness. She is giving them Hope. My prayer this evening is that your Momma always knows that God loves her. May she be rewarded for her tireless efforts to help the heartbroken.

We will light a candle here for you on your birthday.

May you always dance with the angels.
xxxxxxxxxx

Gal said...

You are a bright beautiful light, Carly. I love the image of all of our babies sitting on God's lap together, picking out the colors of the sunset each day... Thank you.

MapleCottage said...

Carly, You have been such a blessing to so many.. thank you for sharing Christian and giving all of us this gift. 2 years ago this month I was also pregnant.. It was Feb 6th when we got the news that our baby had died and Feb 11th that we delivered him. We have not yet been blessed with another little one but I do hope and pray that we are soon :) Hugs!

Hope's Mama said...

so beautiful lovely friend xo

Anonymous said...

I heard about you through a friend who is a patient of Susan Isdale.

I went down to Iluka one evening and stood on the walkway there. When I looked down at the beach there was a young lady sitting on the sand. I noticed that as the sun started to drop she stood up and walked towards the ocean. She knelt in the sand and started writing. I knew it was you straight away. I wanted to run down and tell you how amazing I thought you were. But I did not want to scare you so I just watched from afar. I watched you write a name. You wrote it many times. The water kept coming in before you could take a photo of it. I was amazed at your patience. The fact that you wrote that name probably 10 times didn't worry you in the slightest. What a beautiful soul you are to do this for people. It must take up so much of your time and energy.

I feel blessed to be a witness to your writings. If I ever see you down there again I will say hi and I will hold your list for you.

I have not lost a child so I don't understand your pain, I can only imagine it. How lucky we are to have you in the world. Just amazing.

Anonymous said...

I can only echo everybody else!

Anonymous said...

Hi Carly,
I came here tonight as its this day 5 years ago i lost my little boy.
You have honoured him by writing his name for his birthday back in september.
I thank you for your writings. They inspire me and keep me moving in the right direction.

I thank you for this.
Teressa

Amy said...

Carly, this is a lovely post. Thank you for sharing with us.

I too like the picture of all of our children sitting on God's lap picking out he colors of the sunset.

May peace be with you in the coming weeks and always.

ezra'smommy said...

Carly,
Thank you for these beautiful words. I feel some of the same things you do, but find it so hard to acknowledge that anything positive came from Ezra leaving me.
Wishing you peaceful times as Christian's birthday approaches.
Love,
Sarah

BabyDansMommy said...

Carly, what a lovely post. I am about 2 weeks from the date that my son died, 5 years ago. Hard to believe it'll be five years....I can still feel him in my arms. I still hold his blankets...
Thinking of you ..... and thanking you again, for all you have done.

Anonymous said...

Oh Carly. So much to say... Praying for you. I love ya.
Candi

Dani819 said...

That made me cry- but it's a more peaceful kind of crying. And I think it's about gratitude that there are people like you who can find so much beauty in all this sorrow. Thank you.

Daberath said...

What a beautiful post!!! I am so thankful for people like you who can turn something so horrific into something beautiful. I admire you for that....if only more people could see the big picture as you do.

 The Morris Family said...

So many are making their way along the "beach" and writing our children's name in the sand. Our 3 yr. twin was dx with a childhood cancer in 12/06 and went to live with Jesus 1/23/07. May the Lord bring comfort to each parents heart!
Cindy
www.weloveyoujoel.blogspot.com

Jen said...

Thank you Carly for what you do for others. I am glad you found a way to remember and cherish your memories of Christian. God Bless You.gr

Tali said...

your words are breath taking. you are a wonderful person for all you do to help people grieve in a way that is beautiful.

Hollie said...

What an amazing post! You are truly one of God's most beautiful creations!

I know that Christian is so absolutely proud of you, and I have no doubt in my mind that he is smiling down on you every day!

Thank you for all that you do!

Unique Gowns said...

Carly, you have created a lovely piece of heaven for the tiny Angels :) How wonderful to see you celebrating Christian life by sharing him with other grieving parents and friends. I have included your blog in my Angel Babies links. Lots of love to you and your precious angel oxoxDana

deola said...

I like this, believe me

Jennifer said...

You are truly amazing to me. I feel like I am the complete opposite of you because of losing my son...it's been over three years for us and it still hurts very much.

You give me hope that it can change.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carly,
These words are the most beautiful I have ever read, and have moved me to tears. Your son Christian has brought so much love to the world through you. Your insights help so many of us and you truly are a remarkable mother to Christian. I pray that I may learn from you.
With love from Sophie, mum to triplet angels Henry, Jasper & Evan
(www.henry-jasper-evan.memory-of.com)

Anonymous said...

Hi Carly,
I have woken this morning to receive your beautiful message on my sons' memorial website. THANK YOU!
I didn't know that you had already written my boys' names in the sand as my original email was returned to me unsent. I was waiting until 12 Jan to put in my name requests. Thank you for this beautiful gift - I am truly honoured that you have written their names in the sand.
I will be lighting a candle for Christian on his birthday.
Love Sophie, mum to three angels in heaven and one angel on earth xxx